A new journal – BMC Ecology and Evolution & an image competition

I’m delighted to be a member of the editorial board for the new journal BMC Ecology and Evolution. We’re ready to consider a broad range of articles on evolution and ecology, including molecular and phenotypic evolution, population genetics and phylogenetics, palaeontology, behavioral ecology, macroecology, evolutionary developmental biology and biodiversity (including environmental DNA). I know many of […]

New position!

This January I started a new position as Assistant Professor at University of Copenhagen in Denmark. I will stay on as an honorary appointment at University of Melbourne for the next year while I finish up my ARC DECRA work. Feel free to contact me in Denmark at my new email, christy.hipsley@bio.ku.dk!

Some lab updates

We’ve had some new publications in the past few months on using X-ray CT with genomics to uncover hidden lizard diversity in Australia: Chaplin K, Sumner J, Hipsley CA, Melville J. An integrative approach using phylogenomics and high-resolution X-ray computed tomography (CT) for species delimitation in cryptic taxa. Systematic Biology 69:294–307. https://doi.org/10.1093/sysbio/syz048 Melville J, Chaplin K, […]

Paper on digital morphology data sharing out now

A long-time labour of love of mine is finally published in Scientific Data discussing barriers to digital morphology data sharing. Emma Sherratt and I surveyed colleagues online and reviewed the literature to find out how “open” published digital morphology data is, and the answer was…not much (but improving!). Read here ->https://www.nature.com/articles/s41597-019-0047-0

Science Friction podcast

Last Thursday I was part of a discussion panel for the ABC radio show Science Friction called ‘Back from the Dead’. Euan Ritchie, Ben Novak and I explored different facets of the controversial de-extinction process, including – Will it happen? What is the technology? And if we can, should we bring back extinct species? You can […]